Monday, March 7, 2016

Arranged Marriage

You can clearly understand                                                                                  
What's the event at my place
As Ma is busy cleaning the smallest corner of the house
With a big blush on her face

Yes you guessed it right
A meeting with someone has been arranged for me
My mother has loved him already
and imagined what colour our child's eyes will be.

She forces me to apply make up
So that his family gets floored
The doorbell rings and preparations stop
She rushes towards the door

A family enters as neighbours peep
Followed by exchange of formal greetings
Soon Someone says out loud
"Let the boy and the girl alone have a meeting."

My heart begins to beat faster
Slowly as I walk
Nervousness and awkwardness having gripped me
As I don't know what to talk

He begins with description of his family
& Tells me its entire story
Its inevitably seen that there is only half truth
In his version of their glory.

Then he boasts of his achievements
Of his enormous success
And yet all he had done so far
Was to join family business

He exaggerates all his merits
To prove he is a perfect catch
Alas! I was lookin for
Honesty in my ideal match.

The image he potrayed of himself
Appeared quite different from his facebook pics
"I have never touched cigarette or alchohol" he claimed
But is seen posing with beer and chics

"I would allow my wife to work," he said
with a flashing ego common in men
"But I would prefer her to tend to my parents
As a woman mainly belongs to Kitchen"

As he kept on talking further
I realized he didn't want a wife
He wanted a maid, a cook and a governess
To work for free all her life

I smiled and looked at Ma
After he was gone
Her eager eyes looking for an answer
I said, "No, He isn't the one"

"I want someone who is simple and honest
Is it too much to ask?"
My extra concerned relative answered
"To find such a man is a herculean task"

"You' ll learn to like him after marriage" he continued
"and will learn to adjust slowly
Just look at how rich he is
Your life will change drastically."

Luxuries do not make someone happy
My experiences have taught
Goodness of heart and purity of mind
Just cannot be bought

I patiently looked at Ma and said
As she was pretending to be calm
"If you expect me to be Sita
Then You'll have to search for Ram"

No comments:

Post a Comment